Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Acupuncture

I have a fear of needles. I hate it. They never used to bother me, but I gave blood once in high school and nearly passed out. They wouldn't let me leave the table because I was pretty green...ever since then I get kind of queasy when it comes to shots. Usually with a shot I can psych myself up and get through it, but when I have to have blood work done, it becomes more difficult.

I get myself all ready for it, talking myself down and I get through the blood drawing part. Then once it is done, everything gets a bit shaky and I get those lovely cold sweats and fuzzy vision. It doesn't usually last very long and I always warn the nurse, but I still get so embarrassed by it. I feel like deep down I should be able to get through it.

Which leads me to yesterday. My mom has been going to acupuncture for several years now and it has made a world of difference for her. She has taken my step-dad, sister and brother there and it has helped them as well. She has been trying to get me to go for a long time now...

But those needles - just thinking about them freaks me out and makes me weepy! I just couldn't imagine laying there with needles all over my body!!!

I have had some health issues my own that have been an issue for quite a while and I haven't been able to make it better. I do not want to take additional meds so FINALLY after much convincing, I agreed to try acupuncture with my mom by my side.

"I'm gonna cry" (she said she was okay with that)
"I might throw up on you" (she said she was okay with that too - my mom REALLY loves me)

So off we went. I laid down on the table, talked with the acupuncture woman (the acupuncturist?) and she finally put the first needle in...

...

I flinched, but then was okay. She put a few more in, and then a few more...

I kept waiting for it to hurt or make me light headed, but neither thing happened. I did cry - but only a little and then I was able to even *gasp* relax a bit. I even wanted to laugh a bit - I was so sure that it was going to be terrible I couldn't help laughing at how much easier it was than I ever could have imagined.

After it was over, they removed the needles (which also did not hurt), my mom gave me a glass of water and a hug and I scheduled another appointment later this week which I am going to be totally brave for and go all by myself!

So far the results have been good...I will post how I feel as time progresses.

So.....thanks MOM! I know it took me forever to get there, and I know you gave me your appointment...you are the bestest! I Love YOU!!!

No comments: